Skip to content

New settlement proposed for derelict Derbyshire ironworks

by on February 14, 2013

Redevelopment plans for a former Derbyshire ironworks hit by fire last year and involving nearly 2,000 new homes and a 60-acre business park have been submitted to Erewash Borough Council.

The mixed-use scheme for the former Stanton Ironworks near the boundary between Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire includes proposals for 1,950 new homes, retail units, restaurants, community facilities, a health centre, a 150-bed centre for the elderly, a primary school as well as office, warehouse and industrial units totalling some 70,000 square metres of floor space and new roads.

The owner of the site, building materials giant St Gobain, has been consulting on the scheme for several years and has halved the number of homes originally planned. The project is anticipated to provide some 2,000 new jobs.

The built development will be linked by a series of green spaces, allotments, sports facilities and public squares with a large stretch of the historic Nutbrook Canal uncovered across the site.

The 470-acre former ironworks, located close to the M1, was hit by a fire in September 2012 that burned for nearly two weeks.

Councillor Geoffrey Smith, the council’s lead member for regeneration and planning said the project was “the biggest proposed redevelopment scheme in recent history for Erewash”.

Les Foulger of Saint-Gobain said: “The application now submitted for the site represents a truly sustainable and deliverable opportunity to see this vast industrial landscape transformed into a unique and well-designed neighbourhood for future generations to enjoy.”

Roger Milne

14 February 2013

 

Please note that Portal news articles normally appear on the main site. They’ve been published on the blog due to a technical issue. 

Comments are closed.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 957 other followers

%d bloggers like this: